Data And Network Security: Protect Yourself Against Insider Threats
Most data security technologies today are focused on perimeter firewalls and other intrusion detection systems that protect against outside threats. Equally important — if not more so — is protecting your data from insider threats.
Unfortunately, employees who have inside access to your most sensitive information can be highly motivated to monetize it for short-term gain. Or to inflict damage to your organization or corporate image. So you have to ask: how exposed is your company? Is your corporate, customer, and employee data secure right now? What about protected health information or industry-regulated content? Have you locked down the most sensitive information?
What, exactly, is at risk?
Most companies today have nearly unquantifiable amounts of “unstructured data” at risk, including business documents, websites, videos, email and other text-heavy data with more sensitive content embedded in it. At the same time, many states now have extensive data breach legislation in place, with hefty legal costs for failing to adequately protect critical data.
You can depend on Leapfrog not only to help you classify your data by risk or threat level but to implement solutions that actively monitor its use at every moment. By reducing the window of permissions for each individual — granting access only as needed over time — you can greatly reduce your overall risk.
- identify and lock down your most sensitive data — Social Security numbers, credit card data, protected health information, or industry-regulated content
- secure your data at rest and in transit — adding disk encryption, end-to-end encryption and other solutions to your perimeter surveillance and disaster recovery strategies
- monitor file activity and user behavior patterns day and night
- set up permissions and security controls for individuals and user groups, granting access only as needed, when needed
- allow key managers to approve employee permissions (under preauthorized conditions) so IT professionals aren’t caught up in hundreds of access requests each week
- review and model suggested changes to user permissions and network controls to tighten access to your most vulnerable data
- create audit trails to easily see who is using, changing or deleting data in all kinds of files, folders, websites or mailboxes
- install user behavior analytics that alert you to suspicious behavior that could indicate internal data theft
- limit the scope of breaches and leaks with protocols for detecting and recovering from negative events faster
- protect data accessed through mobile devices (multiple endpoints) or in shared or collaborative files as if it resides in a private cloud
We make securing the privacy, integrity and confidentiality of your data and networks – and the people cleared to use them — both practical and possible.
For more on how to protect your business and peace of mind from insider threats, let’s talk.