If you want to be more productive, go ahead and take the plunge. Here are five reasons why:
1. It’s noticeably faster. Your programs open faster, the new splash screen lets you watch the call-up process and once you’re in the program, you can move around faster, too. Opening a new Word doc is now lightning fast.
2. The file menu is back … and it’s on steroids! As the first tab on the ribbon, menu items you use frequently (like Save, Save As, Exit and more) are all in one intuitive place — a return to the much-loved functionality of pre-Office 2007 versions.
3. Printing is a snap. Print, Print Preview and Page Set-up are all on one screen — no more moving through several screens. Plus you can zoom while in Preview for a closer look.
4. Commands at your fingertips. Any command you want, anywhere on the ribbon — load your ribbon with your favorite standbys and new tabs that you create yourself.
5. Bugs won’t slow you down. After a five-month technical preview and a seven-month beta test (our partner and “Training Toad,” Greg Creech, participated in both), almost every kink has been worked out. Office 2010 also runs on virtually any computer with Office 97 – 2003 and 2007 already installed.